Mr. Phuoc founded Nguyen Huu Phuoc law office (precursor of Phuoc & Partners Law Firm and then Phuoc & Associates) in 2003. Before that, he served as Deputy Manager of the Tax & Legal Department of PricewaterhouseCoopers and KPMG, two of the big four international accounting firms in the world for more than 6 years and Managing Partner of LuatViet Legal Consultants, a leading Vietnamese law firm for almost 2 years.
Mr. Phuoc earned his Master of Laws (LLM) in the International Trade Law at Bristol Law School (UWE), a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) from the General University of Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam and a Bachelor of Arts in languages (English) from the Pedagogical University in 1996. In addition to his legal background, he has also studied the Qualification Course and received accounting and tax certificates of ACCA (Association of Chartered Certified Accountants) which is the world’s largest global professional accountancy body based in the UK.
He has represented clients before district and provincial labour agencies and courts in a broad range of employment litigation matters. These include, but are not limited to employment discrimination cases, trade secret and non-competition agreement disputes; and counselling in connection with human resources and benefit-related decisions.
In the early 2010’s, in addition to his in-dept technical knowledge and leading experience in the tax and labour & employment practices, Mr. Phuoc developed and magaged a new marriage and family law practice in Phuoc & Partners. His family law practice now ranges from divorce, child custody, child support, visitation, community property divisions, prenuptial and post-nuptial agreements, will and inheritance. Mr. Phuoc has developed substantial trial experience in representing entrepreneur and showbiz related individuals and foreigners entangled in marriage and family law disputes out of court and at court.
From 2006 through now, Mr. Phuoc was named one of the leading Vietnamese lawyers in the field of tax and labour by Legal500, Chambers Asia and ALB based on the views of clients, peers, and other industry professionals. Particularly, Legal500 noted that “Managing partner Nguyen Huu Phuoc is ‘particularly good, being knowledgeable about local laws, a good communicator, and quick to respond.
Mr. Phuoc has spoken at numerous professional and business seminars on the subjects of tax, labour & employment law, and the practice of law including events organized by HKBG, EuroCham, Vietnam Chamber of Commerce and Industry (VCCI) and the Bar Association of Ho Chi Minh City. He is also the author of numerous articles related to his specialty, and regularly contributes to journals focusing on tax and labour law as well as law practices in Vietnam. Mr. Phuoc has also been interviewed many times on daily newspapers/TV on tax and the labour laws of Vietnam as well as his experiences of practicing law.
Regarding the publication works, Mr. Phuoc is the author of 06 books, including:
- Start-up Guide with the Lawyer Profession (published by Phuoc & Partners in 2016 and was reprinted at the first time in 2017);
- Family and Individual Legal Manual (published by Phuoc & Partners in 2018 and was republished in 2020);
- Labour Law Booklet (published by Phuoc & Partners in 2018);
- Labour Law Compliance Handbook (published by Phuoc & Partners in 2018); and
- Hard-to-Find templates of human resource (published by Phuoc & Partners in 2019).
Besides, he is also the co-author of 02 lawyer practicing skill books namely:
- Lawyer Handbook (published by the Lawyer Federation of Vietnam in 2018 and re-published in 2019); and
- Teaching Book of Lawyer Practicing Skills (published by the Juridical Academy of Vietnam in 2018).
Not stopping there, Mr. Phuoc had contributed his valuable time to translate two human resource books including:
- Correct Human Resource Management (published by VNHR in 2019); and
- Clever Human Resource Management by data (published by VNHR in 2019).
- Member of the Executive Committee of the Vietnam Human Resource Club(VNHR), in charge of labour law consultancy to VNHR members
- Member of the Executive Committee of the Vietnam Association of Corporate Directors (VACD) – in charge of the legal consultancy for VACD members
- Vice chairman of the Chief Sales & Marketing Officer (CSMO) Club, in charge of providing legal advices to CSMO members
- Member of Vietnam Business Lawyers Club (VBLC)
- Member of the Bar Association of Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam